Skip to main content

"I saw happy, romping puppies and obviously well-cared for young adults in training dragging their humans to the farmer's training track for a schooling run."




I adopted my first Greyhound in 1994, and became an adoption volunteer shortly after that. This was before there was any Greyhound information available on the internet, and so my views about racing were based largely on what I had read in anti-racing literature or saw on sensationalized TV pieces. As a result, I was convinced that the Greyhounds were mistreated while racing and I was definitely anti-racing.

When I adopted my second Greyhound about a year later, I found that she was as outgoing, sweet and easily handled as my first Greyhound. This didn't seem consistent with what I had been told about how Greyhounds were treated at the track. Both skeptical and curious by nature, I decided to look further into this seeming contradiction. I researched, as much as possible then, information about racing Greyhounds from all the "impartial" sources I could find. I found an address and phone number for a Greyhound breeder/farmer near Ocala, Florida and "cold called" him to ask if I could visit his facility on an upcoming business trip to Florida. He didn't hesitate and welcomed me to visit.

What I saw when I arrived didn't jibe at all with my preconceived notions. I saw happy, romping puppies and obviously well-cared for young adults in training dragging their humans to the farmer's training track for a schooling run. My skepticism about what I had been told grew.

The breeder gave me the names of several racing kennel operators at tracks in Florida and Alabama and referred me to those people in case I wanted an "inside" look at one or more racing kennels. I took him up on the offer and initially visited three kennels -- two in Alabama and one in Florida. Again, what I saw in the racing kennels was nothing like what I had been told about the lives racing Greyhounds lived -- all the dogs were healthy, happy and bursting with fitness and athletic vigor. I began to comprehend the differences between working dogs and pet dogs and how working dogs are fully engaged in what they were bred to do. In short, I felt like I had been lied to by the anti-racing groups whose literature I had read, and misled by the media pieces I had watched. Needless to say, I changed my stance on racing and decided that Greyhound racing had been untruthfully maligned.

Twenty-four years later, after having adopted many more former racers, helped found an adoption group, and visited all manner of farms, tracks and racing kennels, nothing I have seen has changed my view that there is nothing "cruel" or "inhumane" about Greyhound racing. It produces robustly healthy, genetically diverse dogs that make wonderful pets precisely because of the way they're bred, trained and treated while racing. For all these reasons, I support the continuation of Greyhound racing.

John Parker


Moreland, Georgia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"As a person who helps connect humans and Greyhounds..."

As the President and Founder of Forever Home Greyhound Adoptions, as well as having 13 of my own Greys, I feel like it's important to weigh in with my views as not only a Grey mom, but as a person who helps connect humans and Greyhounds, every day for over 20 years now. With all the allegations and controversy surrounding the Greyhound racing industry lately, I feel like it's high time that more of us on the adoption side of the road make our thoughts and feelings known. Having been in the adoption world for well over 20 years now, I think I have seen and heard just about everything, and I am here to tell the world that all the anti-racing slandering of the industry is shameful, hurtful, and untrue. Most of the AR mouthpieces that spout toxic lies the loudest, have probably never ever seen the inside of a racing kennel, and maybe never even witnessed a Greyhound race. Well, I HAVE, and I can truthfully say, that most kennels are cleaner than some people's homes, a

"She was not 'culled' like a puppy farm inmate"

It's about the dogs! It's been not quite four years since I became a "Crazy Greyhound Lady," retired racers have that effect on a large number of their adopters. NGA greyhounds have amazing careers as athletes and then are fortunate to have an adoption rate of over 95% when those careers are over. Now it's time for all of us who appreciate all that goes into the breeding, training, and care to stand up and defend racing against the endless lies put out by profit-driven extremists. My husband and I have adopted two retired racers and volunteer extensively with our adoption group, including traveling to the track to pick up new retirees and doing home visits to help match prospective adopters with dogs. We had the oh-so-common experience of mutual love at first sight when we met each of our hounds. Coming up with a testimonial should have been an very easy task. Instead I struggled with draft after draft, they all fell short. One day I realized that it was not

"And one year later we visit the first time a racetrack."

My Story: so sorry my English is not perfect I hope you understand me?! I am from Germany and in 2002 I met my first greyhound. He was from the last closed racetrack in Italy and was in a shelter in Germany. His name was Teseo (Teseo della Capitale). The beginning of a very deep love to greyhounds. But Teseo was so sad an scared and unlucky ... now we know he was unlucky with us. He was the first time alone ....He missed other greyhounds. But eight weeks later we adopted Zama (Teresas Hope). A female from the same track. And Teseo was so happy! He changed in a lucky and wonderful boy.   At first we hate everything about racetracks. We heard from rescue groups so terrible things about this. This was a very bad area and all people are bad. But we met other greyhound owners in our town and we talked about everything ... and about the racetrack too. They told us so much other stories about the dogs and the people and we changed our opinion. And one year later we visit the f