Skip to main content

"I have moved over 2,700 greyhounds to adoption by working with 15+ farmers in Abilene and countless adoption groups."



In 1993, I was a young college student looking for a summer job. My sister's boyfriend (now husband) worked at the Woodlands as a security guard, and he knew I loved animals and said why don't I put my info up in the guard shack? So I did. Ironically, that did not lead to a job at the track, but an assistant job with Robert Gillette who owned greys and had his own veterinary practice. I took over care of his 12 greyhound farm and worked at his clinic also. Since I still didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life, this was a very formative time for me. But the greyhounds spoke to me. When he didn't feel like he had enough work for me, he hooked me up with Harvey Brown a trainer at the Woodlands, where I started as a helper and worked my way up to trainer.

I spent 15 years of my life training greyhounds and it was my favorite time of my whole life, and it solidified in me really quickly that I wanted to follow my dream and become a veterinarian. I was accepted into the KSU College of Veterinary Medicine class of 1999. And yes, I still worked at the track on breaks back home. When I graduated, I worked full time veterinary for a few years, then dropped to part time veterinary and part time greyhound assistant trainer. When the Woodlands closed in 2008, I cried, that big huge ugly cry, I felt like my life was over. I had Flying Robin in the last race ever run at the Woodlands, it was a Grade A (which she had no business being in, as she was only competitive as a C dog), but she came off smiling, helicopter tail wagging, so happy for her last place effort. The track had made a video of memories they played after that last race, celebrating the memories, and tears just streamed down my face unabashedly while I sat there hugging Robin.

After the Woodlands closed, I wanted to stay in the greyhound industry somehow, so I started a greyhound cancer study (which I am still doing, and will do for the remainder of my life). When Greyhound Support of Kansas City stopped placing the adoptables out of Abilene, I took over. I have owned a couple of racers of my own (though I was a much better trainer than I am an owner), and my husband and I chose not to have children, so we have 13 greyhound kids of our own at this time.

I knew nothing about greyhounds or greyhound racing when I started working with them. I learned very quickly that this breed is who they are because of everything they go through to be a racer. They stay with their littermates until they are a year of age, so they are way better socialized with other dogs than any other breed. They tend to go into the kennels at around a year of age, where they are taught to be lead broke and to be handled in all the ways they will need to be handled as a racer. And then they go through the various stages of training: from the jackalure to whirlygigging, to walking, to sprinting, to handslipping and boxing, each is a step toward becoming a racer, and even the ones that fail, are very well trained to become a pet.

I have now personally owned 46 greyhound pets that I have welcomed into my home. I couldn't tell you how many I have fostered personally. I have moved over 2,700 greyhounds to adoption by working with 15+ farmers in Abilene and countless adoption groups. I have taken in any sick greyhound off of my adoption list because I believe that every dog should know a home, whether it be for one day, one week or one month. Greyhounds are my everything and everything I do is for the greyhounds, and it always will be. And without greyhound racing, we have no greyhounds, at least, not the dogs we love.

Shelley Lake, DVM
Paola, KS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"As a person who helps connect humans and Greyhounds..."

As the President and Founder of Forever Home Greyhound Adoptions, as well as having 13 of my own Greys, I feel like it's important to weigh in with my views as not only a Grey mom, but as a person who helps connect humans and Greyhounds, every day for over 20 years now. With all the allegations and controversy surrounding the Greyhound racing industry lately, I feel like it's high time that more of us on the adoption side of the road make our thoughts and feelings known. Having been in the adoption world for well over 20 years now, I think I have seen and heard just about everything, and I am here to tell the world that all the anti-racing slandering of the industry is shameful, hurtful, and untrue. Most of the AR mouthpieces that spout toxic lies the loudest, have probably never ever seen the inside of a racing kennel, and maybe never even witnessed a Greyhound race. Well, I HAVE, and I can truthfully say, that most kennels are cleaner than some people's homes, a

"She was not 'culled' like a puppy farm inmate"

It's about the dogs! It's been not quite four years since I became a "Crazy Greyhound Lady," retired racers have that effect on a large number of their adopters. NGA greyhounds have amazing careers as athletes and then are fortunate to have an adoption rate of over 95% when those careers are over. Now it's time for all of us who appreciate all that goes into the breeding, training, and care to stand up and defend racing against the endless lies put out by profit-driven extremists. My husband and I have adopted two retired racers and volunteer extensively with our adoption group, including traveling to the track to pick up new retirees and doing home visits to help match prospective adopters with dogs. We had the oh-so-common experience of mutual love at first sight when we met each of our hounds. Coming up with a testimonial should have been an very easy task. Instead I struggled with draft after draft, they all fell short. One day I realized that it was not

"And one year later we visit the first time a racetrack."

My Story: so sorry my English is not perfect I hope you understand me?! I am from Germany and in 2002 I met my first greyhound. He was from the last closed racetrack in Italy and was in a shelter in Germany. His name was Teseo (Teseo della Capitale). The beginning of a very deep love to greyhounds. But Teseo was so sad an scared and unlucky ... now we know he was unlucky with us. He was the first time alone ....He missed other greyhounds. But eight weeks later we adopted Zama (Teresas Hope). A female from the same track. And Teseo was so happy! He changed in a lucky and wonderful boy.   At first we hate everything about racetracks. We heard from rescue groups so terrible things about this. This was a very bad area and all people are bad. But we met other greyhound owners in our town and we talked about everything ... and about the racetrack too. They told us so much other stories about the dogs and the people and we changed our opinion. And one year later we visit the f