Skip to main content

"Not once did I find anything to substantiate AR claims"


Animals have been a passion of mine since childhood — took in stray kittens, baby birds, injured creatures; studied veterinarian medicine (didn't complete); worked at a local animal shelter; have had horses, sheep, rabbits and, over the years, an assortment of dogs and cats. I'm currently an unlicensed wildlife rehabilitator (work under a licensed veterinarian) and have plunged deeply into "grey" waters!

Almost 5 years ago, I had the most fortunate opportunity to be where a greyhound adoption group was having a Meet & Greet at an RV Camper Show in Michigan. They had greyhounds! Out of curiosity and excitement, I began to ask questions about the dogs and adoption. I knew IF I were to adopt, I would want a senior, as having worked at a shelter, I knew they were often by-passed for younger ones. When I showed interest in a particular foster on their availability board, the man made a call and voilà! — that foster made an appearance an hour later! Well, it turned out that I did not adopt that particular grey, but another senior grey chose me.

I had heard general stories (although I cannot tell you by what means or by whom) about racing greyhounds, and they were all quite negative. But it didn't line up with the Why? What did I not know?  When I began to voice my confusion, I was challenged to find out. So I decided to try and discover what a racing greyhound's life entailed and, if I could, my own adopted greyhounds.

One of the first places I found was none other than Greed2Krap's site, so I joined (I'm ashamed to admit it). However, I realized quite quickly that what they were peddling was high-emotional, fear-mongering, and I UN-joined very quickly. After that, I began earnestly to watch YouTube videos, read Dennis McKeon articles, find and talk to people in the industry. First track I went to was Wheeling Downs (wow! the hounds were amazing!), spoke to people from the adoption kennel, spoke to people in my own adoption group about how we get the dogs and how all that works, accompanied someone from our group who went to a farm to pick up some new fosters and, while there, watched some schooling of the dogs. Not once did I find anything to substantiate AR claims.

All during this time, I became more involved with greyhounds. I have now become a foster parent, do adoption home visits, hold my own local Meet & Greets, and have adopted two more senior greys.

When an accusation against greyhound racing comes forward, I do my best to search out the truth, without assumption of one way or the other. I can honestly say, that I have completely read the 2016-17 Florida report (DPMBR) and see how "they" have distorted facts and taken numbers out of context.

Having worked with actual animal cruelty cases in the past, I can attest that the racing greyhounds I've encountered at tracks, kennels, farms through my group and other adopted greyhounds have shown no signs of abuse. In fact, they are quite healthy, well-cared for and very happy! The uneducated in animal behavior are attributing claims of abuse to natural and genetic causes.

I once had AR leanings, but no longer! I am PRO-racing proud because it's good for greyhounds. No ifs, ands, or greyhound bald butts about it!

Renee Leslie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"She was not 'culled' like a puppy farm inmate"

It's about the dogs! It's been not quite four years since I became a "Crazy Greyhound Lady," retired racers have that effect on a large number of their adopters. NGA greyhounds have amazing careers as athletes and then are fortunate to have an adoption rate of over 95% when those careers are over. Now it's time for all of us who appreciate all that goes into the breeding, training, and care to stand up and defend racing against the endless lies put out by profit-driven extremists. My husband and I have adopted two retired racers and volunteer extensively with our adoption group, including traveling to the track to pick up new retirees and doing home visits to help match prospective adopters with dogs. We had the oh-so-common experience of mutual love at first sight when we met each of our hounds. Coming up with a testimonial should have been an very easy task. Instead I struggled with draft after draft, they all fell short. One day I realized that it was not

"As a person who helps connect humans and Greyhounds..."

As the President and Founder of Forever Home Greyhound Adoptions, as well as having 13 of my own Greys, I feel like it's important to weigh in with my views as not only a Grey mom, but as a person who helps connect humans and Greyhounds, every day for over 20 years now. With all the allegations and controversy surrounding the Greyhound racing industry lately, I feel like it's high time that more of us on the adoption side of the road make our thoughts and feelings known. Having been in the adoption world for well over 20 years now, I think I have seen and heard just about everything, and I am here to tell the world that all the anti-racing slandering of the industry is shameful, hurtful, and untrue. Most of the AR mouthpieces that spout toxic lies the loudest, have probably never ever seen the inside of a racing kennel, and maybe never even witnessed a Greyhound race. Well, I HAVE, and I can truthfully say, that most kennels are cleaner than some people's homes, a

"And one year later we visit the first time a racetrack."

My Story: so sorry my English is not perfect I hope you understand me?! I am from Germany and in 2002 I met my first greyhound. He was from the last closed racetrack in Italy and was in a shelter in Germany. His name was Teseo (Teseo della Capitale). The beginning of a very deep love to greyhounds. But Teseo was so sad an scared and unlucky ... now we know he was unlucky with us. He was the first time alone ....He missed other greyhounds. But eight weeks later we adopted Zama (Teresas Hope). A female from the same track. And Teseo was so happy! He changed in a lucky and wonderful boy.   At first we hate everything about racetracks. We heard from rescue groups so terrible things about this. This was a very bad area and all people are bad. But we met other greyhound owners in our town and we talked about everything ... and about the racetrack too. They told us so much other stories about the dogs and the people and we changed our opinion. And one year later we visit the f